As many of you likely know by now, Blizzard Entertainment is up to something. Their Careers page has been advertising several positions over the last year for an “Unannounced Project” in the Diablo universe. This news has led to speculation forwards and backwards, with the heaviest debating coming from the camps that believe this means a new expansion is in the works for Diablo III versus others that believe Diablo IV is the next big thing.
Thanks to a tip from a very observant fan (@BlaineTrain23), we have just been alerted that the Careers page was updated for a Game Director position. As Blaine posits, this seems to push the evidence closer towards this project being for a brand new game. While history will show that Josh Mosquiera came in as the Game Director for Diablo III a few months before the announcement of Reaper of Souls launched, this latest revelation could really be read both ways. Either they’re hiring for a new visionary to lead the way for the next game or maybe they’re contemplating a similar switch before the launch of the next Diablo III expansion.
In my opinion, the former seems more likely. Eldorian has also given solid evidence in the past that makes Diablo IV seem more likely. What do you think? Read on for the details of what the position is looking for and hop into the Comments section to let us know where you fall.
- Be the vision holder for the franchise, setting the creative goals for the team.
- Direct game design while successfully partnering with the production director to deliver and maintain an epic gaming experience.
- Discuss games with the player community via press announcements, forum posts, interviews, and public appearances.
- Maintain an awareness of global player behavior and customs to ensure that design decisions are relevant for international regions.
- Coach and guide creative team members toward achieving their career goals.
- Establish and maintain a creative environment, resolve personnel challenges, motivate qualified developers, and foster a culture of success.
- Knowledgeable and passionate about Diablo games
- A minimum of 5 years’ directing video game development
- Shipped multiple AAA products as a game director or creative director
- Outstanding communications and relationship-building skills
- Recognized ability to guide and inspire large development teams
- Able to work well in a team environment and communicate effectively with all development disciplines: programming, art, design, sound, and production
- Exhibited ability to coach and mentor employees at all levels of an organization
- Great sense for what makes a game fun to play
- Unrelenting self-motivation and initiative
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience developing online games, action games, and / or role-playing games
- International game experience
- Higher educational degree